Christmas itself was really calm and relaxed. Santa brought my nieces a puppy so there was cuteness abound. Here he is with "Jill":
|Buy all the dresses you want sucker, we both know you won't wear them|
|Don't judge me for settling for Kinsey, I was alone for 5 days!|
Overall 2013 has been a really good year for us. We bought a house, Kevin changed his job and will likely be buying the business next month (!), we had a great hiking trip out to Montana. I saw two good friends who live far away (I went to Omaha in January to visit my friend Sara and saw my friend Ali in Montana). Despite depleting our savings to buy the house in January, we rebounded pretty quickly (it helps to have rents pay for 3/4 of your mortgage/tax bill). The dark clouds were my grandfather passing (but at 90 it was not unexpected) and Pippa's seesaw health issues.
I have several goals for 2014 - not quite resolutions, because those get broken by February 1.
(1) Get the downstairs of our house completely finished. Kevin has a goal of February 1 for this (a year after we moved in) but I think we'll need a bit more time and am giving us the whole year.
(2) Compost. Most of our trash is organic waste and it hurts my soul to send it to a landfill, so this is a high priority for me for 2014.
(3) Give more to charity. We currently have a recurring payment to the Humane Society, Partners in Health, and NPR. I feel like we are not doing enough for our community and I'd like to add some local charities (the food bank, the homeless shelter, the animal shelters) to that list.
(4) Prioritize exercise. I tend to go in spurts where I exercise consistently for awhile and then fall out of it. I'd like to focus on strength in 2014 as well as run a half marathon.
(5) Visit more far away friends. I have plans to go visit my friend Brie in January and I'd like to see my friends Sarah, Meg and Kelly from law school as well.
(6) Go on a trip with Kevin. We tend to do a big trip once a year but I am a bit worried that with buying the veterinary clinic we won't in 2014 (I have a feeling Kevin will be working a lot). Hopefully by the end of the year we will be able to carve some time out to go somewhere together.