Monday, June 24, 2013

Adventures in Vegetarian Cooking: Artichoke Rosemary Tart with Polenta Crust

My mom sent me a new cookbook as a surprise! Ancient Grains for Modern Meals by Maria Speck. I'm pretty excited about it since we've been focusing on eating unprocessed food lately.  I tried one of her vegetarian recipes: Artichoke Rosemary Tart with Polenta Crust.


It was a good prepare ahead recipe, I made it the night before we ate it.  Not on purpose actually, it just took a lot longer than I was expecting so to avoid a 9:30 dinner I made a frozen pizza instead.



 The crust was a cornmeal, egg and cheese mix.




The filling was yogurt, egg, artichokes, rosemary,  scallions and cheese (the recipe called for goat but I had fresh mozzarella).  We had it along side a strawberry-pecan salad.  The strawberries and the lettuce is from our local food summer share.


The verdict:

Thumbs down.  The salad was great.  The tart was eh. I wasn't a fan of the polenta crust and it was a bit bland overall.  I do tend to use recipes as guidelines rather than rules though, so I am sure it is not Speck's fault (but rather my interpretation of her tart).  I am excited to try some of her other recipes - I've never had wheat berries but I spotted them in our local food co-op last week.



No comments:

Post a Comment