Saturday, October 26, 2013

Homemade Pantry: Green Tomato Apple Chutney

On Tuesday night this week the forecast called for below freezing temperatures (first time this fall) so I went out and cleared our tomato bushes.  I've made this green tomato curry in the past and it is okay -- good for produce otherwise destined for the compost pile -- but wanted to try something different.  I came across this recipe which called for green tomatoes and apples, which we have a lot of from our CSA.  (So. Many. Apples.) I also had variations of all the other ingredients, so I gave it a go.




First taste was a thumbs up, I imagine it will be a good addition to this meal
 
Adapted from David Lebowitz

Yield: a bit more than a pint

2 cups green tomatoes, sliced into bite size pieces (no need to peel)
1 large apple, sliced into bite size pieces (no need to peel)
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 jalepeno pepper, partly deseeded, (more if you like things spicy)
1 tablespoon ginger
1 tablespoon garam marsala
1 1/2 teaspoons course ground mustard
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar

Add all ingredients to a pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.  During the last ten minutes stir every 30 seconds or so to make sure the bottom layer doesn't burn.

Note: this is not a canning recipe, I don't know if there is adequate vinegar to keep the ph in the safe zone.  I plan to freeze what we won't use in the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment