Monday, February 25, 2013

Paws vs. Little Feet


We are in our early thirties and have been married for a year and a half so we inevitably get the “when are you having a baby” question (mostly from distant family and acquaintances, luckily not so much from close friends and family).  My standard answer has become when there is something to know, you’ll know.* No one seems to give us credit for the paws we have. So here, some ways that paws are just like little feet:
  1. Sleeping in is something I vaguely remember from way back when.
  2. The paws’ behavior reflects on us, causing me to be smugly proud (my dog doesn’t grab food off the coffee table) or horrifically embarrassed (“uh, sorry my dog peed on your Christmas tree”).
  3. They give us an excuse to leave the party at 10 (we’re old yo!)
  4. I talk about poop way more than anyone wants to hear about it.
  5. They cause you to meet people you wouldn’t meet otherwise (I know all my neighbors with dogs - by their dog’s name.  Other neighbors know exactly who I am talking about when I say, “Baxter’s dad.”).
  6. When they are snuggled in your lap, perfectly content, your heart bursts with love. 
Okay, okay, before you get all concerned -- I do know that paws and little feet are not exactly the same.  For example:
  1. You can’t leave your baby in a crate with a chew toy and water and go off to happy hour (even if you’ll be home by 10:30).
  2. You can’t make fun of your kid right in front of her face in a sing song way and have her get super excited about it (at least not for long).
  3. Microchipping your kid is generally frowned upon (although GPS tracking may be okay?)        
See Kevin's heart bursting with love.  Bursting I tell you.  




*This has gone over WAY better than my previous snarky answer: “Well we tried really hard last night but I don’t feel any different today.”  Shocking Great Aunt Mu-Mu didn't like that answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment